Dear Community Member,
We hope this message finds you and your families well, both physically and emotionally. We realize the toll the protracted nature of the pandemic has taken. Our faculty and staff remain committed to providing a safe community of learning that nurtures our students’ ethical, emotional, and intellectual development. We sincerely desire to return to campus as soon as it is safe and permitted, and we thank you for your flexibility, patience, and unwavering support.
As we complete the first month of this unprecedented school year, we’d like to provide an update on our return to campus plan. We have a COVID-19 School Compliance Task Force, consisting of the following:
- Jim Pickett, Head of School
- Theresa King, Director of Finance
- Kim Kinder, Director of Operations
- Sarah Cooper, Assistant Head for Academic Life
- Vanessa Walker-Oakes, Assistant Head for Student Life
- Nick Adams-Wright, Director of Facilities
- Andres Alamillo, Athletic Trainer
- Nicole Trevor, Director of Communications
This committee is working with health experts, educational partners, peer schools, the LA County Department of Public Health, the National Association of Independent Schools, the California Association of Independent Schools, and the National Business Officers Association to ensure the safety of all community members when a return to campus for hybrid learning is possible.
The guiding principles of the committee are tied to the heart of our school mission:
- To maintain and protect the physical and emotional health of our community;
- To provide the best quality academic program and student experience possible;
- To be flexible, adaptable, patient, and caring as we navigate challenging, unpredictable, and shifting circumstances.
This committee’s primary responsibilities have been focused on health and safety and improved facilities to support a strong academic and social environment.
Health and Safety Protocols for Our Community
Maintaining a healthy environment requires a commitment from our whole community. For an expanded list of health and safety accommodations the school has implemented, please visit the Health and Safety section of our Return to Campus Plan webpage. The school has implemented the following protocols, currently being employed by essential faculty and staff. When it is safe to return for hybrid learning, these requirements will be in place for all who enter campus:
- Daily health tracking using the Magnus Health app. Do not come to campus if you’re experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Wear a mask at all times, wash your hands frequently, and maintain a physical distance of six feet or more.
- All community members are encouraged to receive a flu vaccination.
- Equally important, we encourage all community members to seek emotional support through our counseling and peer counseling programs, as well as through our deans and school counselor.
Facilities Upgrades to Promote a Safe Academic Environment
In addition to longer passing periods and one-way walkways, we have made the following updates. For a complete list of upgrades, please visit our Return to Campus Plan webpage:
- We are maximizing outside spaces for learning, lunch, and meetings while also maintaining six-foot distances. Outdoor teaching spaces have been planned for certain classes, such as, potentially, vocal and instrumental music, as needed.
- Inside, HVAC systems have been updated, airflow is being maximized, and desks are already arranged a six-foot distance from each other.
- The Bachmann Collaboration Building is now open, providing 17,000+ additional square feet of space for physically distanced classes.
- Technological upgrades will provide seamless learning when students are allowed to come to campus for hybrid learning.
If you have questions not answered on our website, please feel free to email email@example.com. If you have questions of a personal nature, please contact Theresa King or Kim Kinder directly.
Like you, we have experienced moments of worry for ourselves, our family, our students, and our whole community. More than anything, we appreciate the opportunity to partner with you as we all navigate these complex circumstances together.
The COVID-19 School Compliance Task Force