What a week it has been – last day of classes for seniors, CIF playoffs, and signing day! Boys varsity tennis kicked off the week at the Liberty League finals where they finished third before advancing to the first round of CIF playoffs on Wednesday. The Rebels took on California Academy of Math and Science (CAMS), with strong match wins from doubles team Andrew Megerdichian and Loran Baxter Mercado. Will Lanstra, currently the number three singles player, defeated the number one player from CAMS, winning 6-3.
Volleyball’s boys’ squad (24-4) defeated Godinez at Tuesday’s first round of CIF playoffs. Coming off their home victory, they trekked all the way to Laguna Blanca and continued their winning streak. With 22 kills and 19 digs from AJ Nicassio, 44 assists from Jake Woo and 22 digs from Kristofer Chang, the Rebels dominated the Owls (21-25, 25-14, 25-18, 25-17). Advancing to the quarterfinals, they’ll take on Cerritos Valley Christian on Saturday.
On the field, Rebels baseball (17-8) secured a first-round win against Garden Grove, winning 3-2 at the first round at CIF Division V. Thursday’s game saw Thomas Kosakowski pitch five innings, with Spencer Seid taking the mound for the last two innings. Home runs came courtesy of Germaine Harvey, Max Gitlin and Max Rosenfeld. Next up, the Rebels will play at Xavier Prep on Tuesday, so get your Rebels cheers ready.
Swimming competed at the CIF Division III championship finals on Thursday, with the girls’ squad placing 10th with 100 points and the boys finishing at eighth place with 116 points. Winston Chen finished his high school swim career with a bang, earning first place in the 50-yard freestyle (21.04 seconds) and second place in the 100-yard backstroke (50.62 seconds).
After placing third at the league finals on May 2, varsity golfer Benjamin Sacks advances to the CIF Individual Regionals on May 6.
Come out and support the Rebels at their upcoming games next week.
Congratulations are in order for our seniors who will be playing college sports next fall.
- Haley Allen, Rice University (cross country/track)
- Mikaela Celeste, UC San Diego (soccer)
- Chloe Chanren, Amherst University (volleyball)
- Winston Chen, University of Chicago (swimming)
- Emily Jacobs, Bowdoin College (swimming)
- Caitlin Fong, New York University (soccer)
- Thomas Kosakowski, Beloit College (baseball)
- Helen Schaefer, Pepperdine University (soccer)
- Yasmeen White, University of Montevallo (soccer)
May 4, 2019
- Boys Varsity Track & Field – CIF Prelims (Away)
- Girls Varsity Track & Field – CIF Prelims (Away)
- Boys Varsity Volleyball vs. Valley Christian (Home)
May 6, 2019
May 7, 2019
May 8, 2019
May 10, 2019