Center for Student Life
The Center for Student Life is a hub of support and includes a full-time learning specialist and a school counselor. The Center delivers a curriculum of social-emotional learning, enhanced counseling, and expanded learning support, including a two-year partnership with the Institute for Social and Emotional Learning (IFSEL) as we grow our advisory program.
The Center for Student Life is committed to four important tenets in our student life and student support programs:
- Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion as values that inform school policy and programs if we are to effect impactful change;
- Promoting student wellbeing through expanded and inclusive support systems;
- Fostering responsive, relevant, and meaningfully challenging teaching and learning;
- Nurturing student agency and instilling a sense of community commitment.
The Center for Student Life’s counseling services focus on the whole student and emphasize their social and emotional wellbeing throughout their time at Prep.
- Weekly advising for grades 7-9, which encompass both social-emotional support and individual academic advising.
- Individual academic advising for grades 10-11.
- Grade level support with grade level deans, who work with students as a group and individually. Grade level deans oversee the entirety of the student experience and direct students for more targeted needs.
- Students can initiate meetings with the learning specialist or school counselor on their own, or may be recommended by a grade level dean or Dean of Students.
We are excited to introduce our families to our new all-school advisory program. The Flintridge Prep Advisory Program is grounded in a commitment to community and a values-centered life. The Program offers academic, social, and emotional advising, and seeks to encourage student engagement and balance. The Advisory Program brings our Honor Code and Mission to life by providing:
- opportunities to build connection, empathy and belonging.
- a regular space in the schedule to reflect, renew and relax.
- a trusted adult on campus who can be each advisee’s supporter and advocate.
Students will meet in small grade level groups with a faculty advisor during scheduled advisory periods during the week.